AMBASSADOR KIYONGA ROOTS FOR IMPROVED FISH FARMING TECHNOLOGY
Uganda’s Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China, Dr. Chrispus Kiyonga led a Ugandan delegation on a fish farming study tour to Wenchang in Hainan province and Maoming in Guangdong province in the People’s Republic of China from 6th to 10th May 2018. The delegation included among others, the following;
- Solomon Rutega Consul General of Uganda in Guangzhou
- The Director for fisheries in MAAIF
- The Ag.Director of Kajjaansi fisheries research institute
- 3 Uganda private sector fish farmers.
The enterprises visited were;
- Hainan Qinfu Foods Co. Ltd. This company farms tilapia and acts as a nucleus farmer in an area covering over 8000 squares kilometres. He exports tilapia to Europe and the USA
- Weiye Tilapia Hatchery Co. Ltd. Prof Weiye who owns the farm has 30 years of research in tilapia. The farm produces tilapia weighing up to 5 kilos. He now exports breeding tilapia to some African countries. Prof Weiyne produces fish fry in hundred of millions.
The objective of the study was to appreciate the technologies applied and persuade the enterprises to go to Uganda and share their practices with Uganda farmers and invest in Uganda.
The companies agreed to visit Uganda within this year to explore possibilities of investing in the country.